Washington, DC, United States (VoA) – The United States is sending an aircraft carrier strike group and bomber task force to the Middle East in response to what National Security Adviser John Bolton said are “a number of troubling and escalatory indications and warnings” linked to Iran.
In a statement late Sunday, Bolton said the moves are being made to “send a clear and unmistakable message to the Iranian regime that any attack on United States interests or on those of our allies will be met with unrelenting force.
He added that the United states “is not seeking war with the Iranian regime, but we are fully prepared to respond to any attack, whether by proxy, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, or regular Iranian forces.”
The Trump administration did not give details about any particular threats.
In addition to the carrier USS Abraham Lincoln, the strike group included fighter jets, helicopters, destroyers and more than 6,000 sailors when it left its U.S. port in early April.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, speaking to reporters traveling with him to Europe, declined to comment about what prompted the U.S. decision, but said it had been under consideration for a while and that the administration has “good reason” to want to clearly communicate to Iran how it would respond to Iranian actions.
Iranian officials did not immediately give public reaction to Bolton’s announcement.
Article – All Rights Reserved.
Provided by FeedSyndicate